The small transceiver is equipped with the latest SDR technology: A fast analog-digital-converter samples the received HF directly into digital signals and a downstream DSP module provides for filtering and processing. Another ARM processor handles the signals of the control unit.
One highlight of the FDM-DUO is the possibility to use it standalone without a computer also. Then, this transceiver is a perfect companion for the QRP fan, so that you can have a modern SDR with you even on holidays. The controls are very easy to use for a portable QRP transceiver. In addition to a big VFO knob there are two smaller knobs for volume and filter-center/width (amongst others). Six buttons below the well readable LC-display access the most important functions directly. Less frequently used settings are available via menu system.
Connected to a PC, FDM-DUO is a very modern SDR receiver and transmitter with capabilities which are usually available in very large large radios only.
The device receives from 10 KHz to 54 MHz. A 16-bit ADC with 122 MHz sampling rate is built-in. Receive modes are: SSB, CW, AM (incl. Sync-AM), FM, WFM (incl. Stereo and RDS!), RTTY and DRM. The transmitter has 5W output power, alternatively a HF output jack with 0 dBm output.
Together with a computer the possibilities for the FDM-DUO are extended quite considerably of course. Three(!) USB 2.0 interfaces offer a wide range of possibilities. One interfaces works as a CAT controller, another one provides digital I/Q data for the waterfall diagram, and the third USB port serves as a external sound card for the PC! This way the FDM-DUO can be used for digital modes such as RTTY, PSK31 etc. By distributing these functions to three separate USB interfaces the handling for the user is made much easier, in most cases no additional USB drivers are required.
ELAD FDM-DUO Stand-alone Specifications:
- Freqency range: 10KHz – 54MHz
- Direct conversion receiver operating @ 122.88MHz ADC: LTC2165 16bit
- DDC (Digital Down Converter) FPGA Xilinx Spartan.6 family down to 192Ksps
- DDC, Filter & Demodulator ARM STM32F429 floating point microcontroller
- Demodulation CW, LSB, USB, AM
- LSB,USB Filters selectable 1600-3100Hz Bandwitdh with 100Hz step plus 4000-5000-6000 Hz Bandwitch
- AM Filter selectable from 2500 to 6000Hz with 500Hz step
- CW Filters 2600Hz-1500-1000-500-300-100Hz Bw plus 4 Cw peak filters applied after 100Hz Bw to obtain an overall filter of 20Hz Bw
- Noise Reduction 10 levels
- Noise Blanker 10 leves
- VFO A, VFO B, 199 MEMORIES with Frequency/ Alphanumeric label visualization, programmable by FDM-SW2 memory manager
- Programmable BAND selections: selectable up to 20 quick recallable memories from 180 to 199
- DDS AD9957 with 368.64 MHz clock
- Microphone input ADC 48KHz @16bit selectable gain -12dB to +12dB
- Key and Paddle input for CW operation (Iambic A e Iambic B selectable)
- 5W min power output from 160m to 6m, 8 W typ output @14MHz
- PTT Output connector to drive external amplifiers
- All programmable components (ARM RX, ARM TX, Flash for FPGA, User Interface microcontroller and USB controller) are firmware upgradable
- CAT input USB control interface with FTDI controller
- Antenna connectors: RTX SO-239, RX SO-239
- Monitor output: 0dBm SMA to be used as test equipment allow the use as a Digital RF Generator
- LCD Backlight RGB programmable, depending on function can change the colour (RX, TX , PC remote control)
- 10MHz Reference input connector: SMA
- Power supply: 2.1mm DC Plug 13.8VDC RX consumption 500mA typ (13.8V) TX: tbd
- Size: Witdh 180mm (7.00″) x Depth 155mm (6.10″) including Knob and connectors or 130mm (5.10″) only enclosure x Height 70mm (2.75″)
- Weight: 1.2Kg (2.4 lb), shipment package 2.2Kg (4.85 lb)
PC mode operation with FDM-SW2 software specifications:
- Up to 9 simultaneous receivers combination ( 1 on center frequency stand alone, 4 FDM-SW2 in fist 192kHz channel and 4 in the second 192kHz channel
- Each receiver on FDM-SW2 have a dedicated Audio Channel and a dedicated CAT to be usable from external application with Visrtual serial ports and Virtual Audio Cables
- Selectable Band configuration from 192kHz to 6MHz DDC bandwith (192,384,768,1546,3072,6144Ksps) 2 channel 192Ksps, 2 channels 384Ksps
- RX and TX SPLIT mode operation: VFO A for RX while VFO B used for TX (with FDM-SW2 simple click operation to change TX frequency)
- CW skimmer integration management (DX Spot visualization & tuning capability)
- Direct digital Modulation using USB soundcard based on CMedia chipset digitally interfaced with ARM floating point microcontroller and DDS